Re: jigdo only downloads 10 files for my custom install dvd

Hi Daniel,

if you let jigdo-lite running, it will eventually continue downloading
further files and copy them to the image ...so it does work!

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 07:29:06PM -0500, Daniel Dadap wrote:
> Does anybody have any ideas why jigdo keeps stopping after downloading 10
> files?

My intention when I implemented it was that 1) the image file should not be
fragmented, and 2) the download should terminate early if there is not
enough room on the hard drive.

For this reason, jigdo-lite writes out the entire image when it first
creates the .tmp file, filling up missing data with zero bytes. Later runs
will be much faster because then only the data that was downloaded will be
copied over into the .tmp file.

Downloading all files first and only then creating the entire image will
temporarily use up twice as much disk space. With the large size of some
images, this is not an option IMHO.

(Today, I would probably implement image creation differently though, with
an explicit check for free disk space, and by using a sparse file in the
hope that the filing system will take the hint and allocate it
contiguously. Or you could download in the order of appearance in the
image file...)

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯