Environment variables vs. command-line arguments

It seems there is quite a hodge-podge of calling conventions for passing config variables to the scripts in the tools/ directory. Several scripts take command line arguments; others use environment variables. Some use both.

Is there a method to this madness?

It seems to me that it would be easier to use the environment for standard config variables (such as MIRROR, NONFREE, etc, etc)

which_deb, for instance, takes the config variables of MIRROR and CODENAME as its first two arguments, followed by a package name and output format (which I believe should be arguments). Is there a reason this couldn't be read from the environment? (Thus making it more consistent with other scripts, as well as more expandable, IMO)

Inbound and outbound email scanned for spam and viruses by the

DoubleCheck Email Manager: http://www.doublecheckemail.com