Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

Am 2008-03-17 14:13:34, schrieb Jürgen Kertz:
> I'm aware of the 1-CD-installation, but lets just say here I need a lot
> of fancy stuff which has lots of dependencies spread across almost all
> discs.

I have a fancy Workstation too, but ALL tools I need are on the first
6 CDs and other tolls I am missing there are so small, that they fit
even on Floppy-Disks...

OK, then I have a bunch of *-dev packages and appropriated tools
(maybe 1.6 GByte)...

> To summarize here: i just wanted to state that I personally find jigdo
> and torrent more useful than complete ISO images. Especially jigdo: it
> saves me and the rest of the world a lot of bandwith and harddisk space.
> So my Idea is to provide a "Starter Kit" of ISO images (DVD and CD),
> that can be downloaded as usual (and independent of the OS), and the
> additional "fancy stuff" is availabe via jigdo (or torrent).
>
> If someone has a slow and/or expensive or limited internet connection,
> none of the discussed options will help you, no matter if the mentioned
> 426 GB are offered or just a selected subset.

Jigdo wil not save ANY space on your drive...

You will save space, if you make an "apt-get update" and then use

    apt-get --print-uris install ...

With this list you can create your individual CD/DVD, which I do too and
of course, without ANY Development tools and *-dev packages I have 1683
Binary packages on ONLY twp CDs.

(This Packages are installed on my own 26 Computers @home and @customers)

My development stuff eat around 3 CDs.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)