Installing from a USB keydrive fails at grub-install

today I made a installation of Lenny rc1 from a USB key (using hd-media
and the lenny rc1 netinstaller iso on amd64).

I had the following drives:

/dev/sda => which was the USB key medium from which I installed Debian
/dev/cciss/c0d0 => a 250 GByte RAID 1
/dev/cciss/c0d1 => a 5 GByte RAID 5

I selected the manual partioning method and just touched dev/cciss/c0d0
with the following setup:

	pt1: /boot - ext3 - bootable flag
	pt2: swap  - swap - nothing
	pt3: /	   - ext3 - nothing special

The installation itself went fine and it also *seems* like grub
installed fine, but after rebooting the server everything went bad.

I found out that grub detects the following device.map:

(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/cciss/c0d0
(hd2) /dev/cciss/c0d1

And the installer so on installs grub to (hd0), with the following

1. The USB key was not useable anymore, it has to be recreated
2. The installed system itself has not a bootloader

The only way to get this setup working was:

a) At the end of the installation switching to a vt
b) binding and chrooting
c) editing the device.map
d) re-run grub-install
e) editing the menu.lst of grub

First I want to discuss this behaviour before I report it as a bug - in
my eyes it is a RC one.

I think for such setups are two possible solutions, but I also think
both should be set up:

	1) just install the bootloader to the "bootable" one partition
	2) grub-install should also try to detect if the detected medium
	   (in this case dev/sda) is maybe the installation medium, and
	   so on this one should be completly ignored

I think the a) to b) steps could not be easily solved by non-experienced
users, because they have to detect the error, know how grub works and
they also have to be able to fix it.

What do you think?

Please CC me, I am not subscribed.

- --
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,
Patrick Matthäi

E-Mail: patrick.matthaei@web.de

Always if we think we are right,
we were maybe wrong.