Re: MENU DEFAULT64 support for syslinux

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 01:38:43AM -0700, Ryan Finnie wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
>> > * Installer images for i386 and amd64 have a new boot menu using
>> >  syslinux's vesamenu. This allows for a more user-friendly selection
>> >  of for example the regular or graphical installer. For the multi-
>> >  architecture CD/DVD images this change means the 64-bits version of
>> >  the installer needs to be selected manually from the menu. See the
>> >  Installation Guide [2] for details on how to use the new menu.
>>
>> Beta 2 is looking nice, but not having multi-arch boot detection was a
>> bummer.  So I took it upon myself to add the missing functionality to
>> menu.c32/vesamenu.c32.  I'm posting the patch here first because I Am
>> Not A C Programmer(TM), and I really need more set of eyes on it.
>> Functionally it seems to be working well, as I converted my own
>> distro's[0] straight isolinux setup to a vesamenu system[1], and it's
>> been guessing correctly on everything I've thrown at it so far.
>
> Hi Ryan,
>
> Thanks for your help.  I'm also interested in this feature (I updated the
> patch which was being currently used, 02-64bit-autodetection.dpatch, but it
> seems that it has no effect when using the menu).  I have two comments:
>
>  - Would you please open a bug report (see bugs.debian.org) against syslinux
>    package for this?  debian-devel is not the most indicate place.

My mistake.  I could have sworn the original d-d-a announcement had a

>  - Have you based your code on the currently existing check in
>    02-64bit-autodetection.dpatch?  It is best to reuse known-working code
>    for this.  If you want a C-friendly version, you can use cpuid.c from
>    the win32-loader package (it derives from GCC and has been widely
>    tested).

Thanks.  My version was pretty close to win32-loader's cpuid.c, but
that one had a few extra precautions, so I'll grab from there.  A new
version is attached (also at
http://www.finnie.org/software/debian/devel/syslinux-menu-default64.patch).

And to avoid a bit of confusion, the functionality isn't /exactly/ the
same as the old autodetection patch.  The original
02-64bit-autodetection.dpatch logic was "if the user presses Enter,
boot this section if it's 64-bit, otherwise boot this section".  The
logic for the new menu patch is "if it's 64-bit, highlight this menu
entry for the user, otherwise highlight this menu entry", which is
more in line with the concept of the menu (and easier to implement).

RF