Re: ping on CD

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 07:35:59PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 18:51, Bhasker C V wrote:
> > Is there a possibility of adding ping to the CD/DVD ?
>
> As this question really is a FAQ, I've added an entry in the installer's:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ
>
> It also explains _how_ wget can be used.

Looking at the FAQ entry, IMHO using wget for ping-ish purposes isn't
really straightforward. Also, people who need it during Debian installation
might not have Internet access - or if they do, they are unlikely to find
the FAQ entry.

Myself, I'd also expect to find ping on the Debian installer's console. It
might not be needed by the installer, but it can come in very handy to
debug the networking setup...

So I would like to support the OP's request: Would it be possible to add
ping despite the fact that it is not essential? Adding it to busybox would
probably only add a couple kB to the installer's size.

(Of course, it's rather late now, but maybe consider doing it for the rev1
release, or at a later time, whenever an update to the busybox udeb is
necessary anyway.)

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯