Re: jigdo for olpc

Hi Carl,

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 11:11:36PM -0600, Carl Karsten wrote:
> 1. Will jigdo work with other fs images, like the ext3 ones?

"Yes, but" :-)
It will work as long as you take care that the files inside the filesystem
are not fragmented. jigdo will only work if the data of a file is a
contiguous region of the filesystem. Usually, you won't run into trouble if
you create a fresh FS and copy data into it.

> 2. If many versions (100) of the the squishfs iso is stored on the server,
> and it takes 3 mount -o loop's to get to the actual files:
[...]
> Will the server have a problem with the 300 loopbacks?  If so, is there
> some way to make apache bring them up and down automatically?

300 is a large number. You'll need to give the right parameter to the loop
module to be able to do this. Not sure whether it'll work, but I'd give it
a try, I can't see a reason why it shouldn't work.
(You might be able to eliminate the .iso loop mount, by specifying the
offset of the compressed filesystem.)

Otherwise, you can write a PHP file which serves the content "manually"
after mounting the images. This doesn't sound very nice to me - you might
still run into trouble if too many files are requested simultaneously.

Finally, a simple solution: Mount each image just once and copy the
contents out of the loop mount. If there's not enough space on the server,
use hard links for files which are shared between different versions of the
images - I guess relatively few files will change between releases?

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯