RE: Debian ISOs

> which indicates that a Metalink file for Debian could be over 150k;
> (for CDs) x 12 (11 arches and source) x (>)15 images per release.
> Giving ~9M of HDD overhead if each download needed its own Metalink
> file, <2M for one Metalink file per release, with reality
> somewhere in
> between.
>
> ...so: HDD space shouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't be that simple
> though because Debian mirrors are not necessarily identical
> and Ubuntu
> appears to only have 3 or 4 arches with 3 images each on each mirror
> (iow, mirror count aside, more complex Metalinks would be
> needed.) How
> well the clients handle large numbers of <resources> is likely to be
> significant and could affect how many <resources> can be reasonably
> stuffed into a single Metalink; some of Debian's arches are rather
> limited wrt RAM and CPU cycles compared to modern standards, and
> Debian's minimum system requirements are low compared to others.

Just did a quick peek and the 54k Fedora metalinks contain 286 links (keep
in mind, some are ftp & http like http://planetmirror.com and
ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com). Hopefully actual Debian metalinks will be
generated at http://metalink.packages.ro/ soon.

One other nice feature is that metalink clients can use partial/chunk
checksums (from torrent info) for mirrors, so if there's a faulty mirror,
info from it will be discarded and only that segment will need to be
re-transferred from somewhere else.

As far as system requirements, I'm sure testing would need to be done but
aria2 is command line only and designed to be slim (from their page):

'Unlike Aria, which has GTK+ interface, aria2 provides command-line
interface only. But GUI-lessness brings lower resource requirement. The
physical memory usage is typically 3MB(normal HTTP/FTP downloads) to
5MB(BitTorrent downloads).'

> > One thing I'd definitely like to do is get aria2
> > (http://aria2.sourceforge.net/) included in Debian.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2006/08/msg00197.html
>
> I'm not sure why it hasn't appeared in Unstable yet.
> [but it looks like Patrick does :-]

Perfect, looking forward to that.

Anthony Bryan
Metalink [ www.metalinker.org ]