Re: jigdo - avoid unneeded .iso rebuild

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 11:06:56AM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 06:22:47PM -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
>> I am trying to figure out how to poll a web server and only run the a
>> process (see below) when the .jigdo file has been updated.
>>
>> I can get the Last-Modified timestamp from the server, and I can parse the
>> output from wget looking for "Server file no newer than local file" but I
>> am hoping there is a more elegant way.
>
>Well - that already *is* quite elegant. :-)
>
>If you want to be absolutely certain that the image has changed, you need
>to download the .template file and check whether the checksum of the final
>.iso has changed:
>
>jigdo-file list-template --template foo.template | grep ^image-info
>
>But I'm not sure whether it's worth it; the template files are quite big
>for repeated downloads. You could implement this as a second step after the
>server timestamp has caused curl to download the file.

Or, if the jigdos have been prepared using JTE (as I see these have,
in this particular case) then you also get extra information in the
jigdo file, e.g.:

ShortInfo='Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft" - Alpha i386'
Info='Generated on Tue, 12 Sep 2006 07:34:05 +0100'
# Template Hex MD5sum 81fba738177635aeb4be0afde5014fed
# Template size 1528436 bytes
# Image size 650088448 bytes

The Debian weekly builds on cdimage use information like this when
driving mkimage to work out which ISOs need to be built.

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt