Re: Missing tasks on CD 1 (was: Possible exclusions for Beta 3)

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 01:11, Frans Pop wrote:
> I've just run the i386 full CD in vmware and the only tasks I'm getting
> is:
> - Desktop environment

And the desktop task is completely broken. Only the following are
installed:
- x-window-system-core
- xterm
- twm
- menu

And nothing from gnome desktop environment.

The big directories on the CD are:
/doc		 19MB (including the manual in 14 languages)
/install	 20MB (kernels + initrds)
/pool		593MB

The big dirs (> 5MB) in pool are:
5769    g/gtk+2.0
5988    x/xfonts-base
6576    g/gcc-4.0
7007    p/perl
7628    g/gcc-4.1
7641    d/doc-linux
13140   m/mesa
15134   g/glibc
17685   k/kdelibs
77012   l/linux-2.6
88295   k/kernel-image-2.4.27-i386
154723  l/linux-2.6.16

Looks like we at least need to drop some kernel flavors:
- we can save 76M easy by not including 2.6.15
- we can save another 70M by not including 2.6.16 xen and vserver images
- 2.4 is so big because there are so many processor types, but I expect
  that has always been the case; will be nice to be able to drop that
  after Beta 3 though

We could also save space by dropping kde. Currently only kdebase and
kdelibs are included. I doubt that there is room for both GNOME and KDE
on the first CD anyway.

Having both gcc-4.0 and gcc-4.1 hurst too; no idea if that can be avoided
ATM though.