Re: List of changed packages from the weekly testing/unstable images

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:02:00PM +0200, Lior Kaplan wrote:

>I'd like to maintain a Debian archive in a isolated network (no Internet
>connection). The archive should contain the testing packages.
>
>While it's easy to start such an archive (copy the files from DVDs). The
>main issue is how to keep this kind of archive updated. I don't want to
>burn the DVDs every week, but have some kind of weekly list of changes
>packages.
>
>Since Debian has a weekly generated DVDs, I thought maybe the list of
>changes packages can be download from somewhere, or be calculated by
>comparing two DVD images (current image and the one from the previous week).
>
>So:
>1. Is the list of changed packages available somewhere?

Not really, no. We build each week using debian-cd on a private
machine which is not normally accessible, and the information you're
after is not currently generated. The closest thing _now_ to what
you're after would be the md5sums.txt on each DVD.

>2. Can the list be calculated using jigdo images?

The list of files in a jigdo file is not guaranteed to be complete -
certain files will be included directly in the template file rather
than listed in the jigdo file as external references. This happens if
the file is very small, or if it's in an area of the archive that may
change without warning and is not versioned (e.g. /doc/).

However, you _could_ with a bit of effort create the md5sums.txt file
for each DVD from the matching template file. This would need some
hacking on either jigdo-file or <plug>mkimage</plug>.

Alternatively, ask me nicely (*grin*) and I could modify the image
creation scripts to generate a file list each time we build.

In either case, you'd need to watch the trace file on cdimage.d.o
regularly, and calculate your changes from an old copy each time the
CD/DVD build has happened...

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.