Re: About RockRidge

--On January 31, 2006 8:19:54 PM +0800 Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com> wrote:

# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdwriter
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       or too many mounted file systems

# mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdwriter
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       or too many mounted file systems

# mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdwriter
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       or too many mounted file systems

Still could not mount the CD.

You will have to umount before (i noted you'd tried that) but like I said, this isn't the right way to do it, if you want tp preserve permissions you need to use tar. ext2/3 are not filesystems intended for use on static media.

USe the 'dmesg' command just after you attempted mount to see what information that gives. It will likely have a better clue as to why the ext2 kernel driver refused to mount the filesystem, again, I'm not sure if /mnt/cdwriter exists, if it doesn't you can get this error as well. also I noticed you're formatting ext3 this probably won't work since the journalling code could get funny.

In any event you're at the limit of what I can help you with because I've never done anything like this, and this is off topic for debian-cd as well. Might want to find a linux support or help forum to ask instead, but it's likely they'll tell us use tar, or rsync across the network, or some other method. CD-ROM formats just aren't good at preserving all of the metadata, and non-CDROM formats aren't very well tested for use on cdroms.

I'll poke about later today and see what i get, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to mount an ext2/3 FS off a CD offhand, but...i'm not sure....

You could always burn an image of a ext2/3 filesystem onto the cd, then mount htat image *or* copy that image onto a HDD then mount it....

ie

dd if=/dev/zero of=raw_ext3.img bs=1M count=650

mke2fs raw_ext3.img

mount raw_ext3.img /mnt

cp -a .... /mnt

umount raw_ext3.img

mkisofs -o isofs.iso raw_ext3.img

cdrecord isofs.iso

(now on target machine)

insert cd

mount /cdrom

mount /cdrom/raw_ext3.img /mnt/point *or* cp /cdrom/raw_ext3.img . ; mount raw_ext3.img /mnt/point

/mnt/point now has the image mounted.

(above commands are not exact, just the general idea of what you'd do)