Dumb(?) question about not needing a partial mirror

I see that debian-cd already uses an alternate apt configuration as part
of the build process already.  Why not simply use yet another
configuration to actually grab the required debs.  I have a small script
that moves a set of debs from a directory into the proper pool
directory tree.  I can post it if it of interest.

Or is there something else missing/needed so that the user doesn't need
a debian mirror on his/her hard drive.

Currently I just feed apt the list of packages I want and it
automagically downloads them (Download-Only "true"), I put them into my
personal pool, apt-ftparchive and then run debian-cd.

Cheers,

Daniel