Re: Debian iso-dvd's

At 07:24 AM 10/24/2005, Steve McIntyre wrote:
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 04:19:22PM +0200, Wodzu Wodzowski wrote:
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 01:56:13PM +0200, Wodzu Wodzowski wrote:

>> >I've got a problem with debian iso-dvd's; on the official website
>> >(debian.org) there are adresses of several servers I can download
>> >iso's from. I know that Debian Sarge is on 2 DVD's, but binaries are
>> >just 130 and 380 MB. What's wrong??
>>
>> You're using a program to download the images that is not 64-bit
>> clean, so is wrapping at 4GB.

Another way to state this : the Windows FAT-32 file system uses a
32-bit integer to describe file size. The biggest file possible in a FAT-32
system is about 4GB. The same is true for early versions of NTFS.

>So, can't I download and burn images when i'm working on Win2k with Opera 7.54 ??

If the images exceed 4GB, you can't.

No, it seems not. I don't use Windows myself, so I don't know of any
software to recommend for the download. Hopefully somebody on the
debian-cd list (see CC:) will be able to help...

You could do this several ways. You could buy the DVDs, you could
change to CDs, you could upgrade to Sarge, you could prevail upon
a friend, you could get the pieces and rely on your DVD-burning software
to assemble a DVD, etc. etc. etc.

Regards, Gordon