Re: Licence recommended?

On Thursday 30 September 2004 04:16 pm, Arnfinn Gjøstøl wrote:
> I have just installed DEBIAN using JIGDO. Everything seems OK except that
> I could not logon to the Internet during installation. When I restart my
> computer entering username and password, the boot progress stops at:
>
> username@debian:~$
>
> At that point I do not know what to type.
> Do I need a licence?
>
> Pardon for your inconvenience

Um. That would be the prompt.

If that's what you literally have on your screen, it would appear
that you have given yourself the username "username" and your
computer's hostname is "debian", both of which are the defaults.
You were kind of supposed to use a bit more imagination on those
and use, for example, your *name* as the username, etc.

You might want to consider doing things like installing an
xserver or maybe some actual software at this point.

I'm sorry, I'm being a tad rude, but it's actually pretty funny. ;-D

Welcome to the world of free and user-supported software. ;-)

Don't worry, I think I had to install 5 to 10 times when I
first started learning this (sometimes it's easier to go through
the install again than it is to "fix" everything from where you're
at).

Debian is an *extremely* flexible system which can install
everything from web servers to home multimedia systems, so
it can't make blind assumptions about what you want on your
system. You will have to do that during the install, which means
you're going to want to read all of those questions it asks.

Chances are, if you are asking this question this way, you
probably wanted a desktop system, so make sure you install
an X windows / desktop environment system.  One of the
last things in the install (after the first reboot) is a menu asking
what you what sort of tasks you want your computer installed
to do -- I think the X windows desktop environment option is
the first option on that list.

Best of luck,
Terry