Re: Dual layer DVD

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 04:11:49PM +0200, Joerg Friedrich wrote:
>Richard Atterer schrieb am Dienstag, 07. September 2004 um 15:58:55 +0200:
>> I think dual-sided DVDs are *very* unpopular, aren't they?
>
>AFAIK dual-sided single-layer is identical to two single-sided
>single-layer disks.
>
>Suse sells their distribution on dual-sided single-layer DVDs. Maybe
>this is cheaper than two DVDs or one dual-layer.

Dual-sided discs are essentially two single-sided discs just stuck
together, back to back. They're cheap, but not very good for several
reasons:

  Handling them is awakward, as both sides are vulnerable to
  fingerprints

  There's no space to print/write a decent label

  Halfway through an installation you have to eject and flip the disc

>Since dual-layer writers and disks are expensive such images might only
>interessting for high volume distributors.

Two points for this too:

  CD and DVD media tends to get cheap very quickly. I'd expect
  writeable DVD DL media to become commonplace within the next year.

  I'm also talking with distributors who'd be looking to get DVDs
  pressed. An official DL 8.5GB image would be very helpful to these
  people and to the users they sell to.

"I've only once written 'SQL is my bitch' in a comment. But that code
 is in use on a military site..." -- Simon Booth