Re: Fulfilling our source obligation

[Matt Taggart]
> In the process of giving out all these CDs it occurred to me that
> Debian could make it easier for people giving out CDs to fulfill
> their source obligation(required by some licenses like the GPL) by
> creating an ISO image that also contained it's own source.

As far as I know the GPL only require the source to be available on
request.

But I welcome the idea for other reasons.  It would increase the
amount of offline backup media for the source, and also make it easier
to send "modifiable" CDs to countries with very bad Internet
connections.

> What do people think? Is this a reasonable idea? Should I start
> looking in to what it would take to make the current processes do
> this? (or does someone who's already doing it want to save me the
> trouble? I'm not above bribery, name your price)

Sounds good to me.  I'm aware of two CD building tools at the moment.
debian-cd and picax.  There are probably more options available.
debian-cd is the one we use at the moment, but it is getting harder
and harder to maintain.