Re: 700 MB media

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Philip Hands wrote:

> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Richard Atterer]
> >
> >>IMHO, definitely - it's been a very long time since I last saw 650
> >>MB media...
> >

> > It is less then a year ago since debian-edu tried to switch from 650
> > to 700 MB images, and got reports about CD burners unable to burn the
> > images.  Because of this, debian-edu still make 650 MB images.
> >

> With Steve's whizzy new patch for generating jigdos straight from
> mkisofs, it all runs fast enough so that we could contemplate generating
> jigdos for both sizes, as well as business cards & DVDs, say.  It's not
> like extra jigdo versions take up much room.
>
> If we do that, CD vendors and home CD burners can chose a size that
> suits their hardware.

People like ourselves use Jigdo extensively, but my observation is that
most people who want to download CDs wait until the images are available.
I suspect that those who would use Jigdo and who do not have a local
Debian mirror would opt for a network installation.

Given this I would suggest that we stick to a single CD set.

Phil. (The other one)

  I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs & DVDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz