DOS compatible again? 8+3 names broken due to mkisofs option

Hi!

While trying to make our cds compatible with DOS again we have identified
several problems, the last one is that we are generating duplicate 8+3
names, which means that some files on the cds aren't accesible to DOS.

The problem with this is that we are using the -l option in our mkisofs
command line, this option is descrived in mkisofs like this:

-l     Allow full 31 character filenames.  Normally the  ISO9660  file-
       name  will  be in an 8.3 format which is compatible with MS-DOS,
       even though the ISO9660 standard allows filenames of  up  to  31
       characters.   If  you use this option, the disc may be difficult
       to use on a MS-DOS system, but this comes in handy on some other
       systems (such as the Amiga).  Use with caution.

We are using this option in i386 along with other arches, and not in m68k,
which if the man page is right, would be the arch where we should find it
handy.

I don't know if this flag should be applied to m68k, people knowing this
arch please enlighten us on this ;-)

But I definitely think it is of no sense on i386, here it doesn't provide
anything (we already have long names through joliet) and it breaks
compatibility with the old DOS based systems. So, I'm for removing this -l
option on i386 as I see all pros and no cons, if somebody doesn't agree with
this please tell us.

Regards...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net