From: debian-cd-request@lists.debian.org [mailto:debian-cd-request@lists.debian.org] On Behalf Of Mattias Wadenstein
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 10:57 AM
To: Steve McIntyre
Cc: debian-cd@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Dual layer DVD

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:24:36PM +0200, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>> 13 or 14 650 MB CDs (jigdos on the main cdimage site, with some
>>> mirrors carrying the full ISOs)
>>>
>>> 2 4.7 GB DVDs (ditto)
>>
>> I am expecting to carry one of those on cdimage.d.o for user
>> convenience and at least the push-triggered mirrors, right now I'm
>> going for the CDs. Any reasons for carrying DVDs instead?
>
> I'd expect many more people to be using DVDs now than used to. In
> terms of the split, I don't know what the proportion of CD to DVD
> users is. However, I would _definitely_ recommend making the i386 and
> src DVDs available at least. DVDs may not be very useful for most
> arches, but...

Hmm.. The current push mirror script generates isos (runs jigdo-mirror)
for all the subdirs in the directory pointed to by jigdo/current, probably
something to think about if we can avoid having to dig up contacts to all
the mirrors and getting that script updated.

This is the script btw, "cd-mirror" in this location: http://www.acc.umu.se/~maswan/debian-push/cdimage/

I guess, if that needs to be updated, one could add some logic like a list
of isos to build or something to be distributed too. At worst, some
mirrors won't update and then either run out of space or take a very long
time to build dvd images just to have them deleted once jigdo-mirror
finishes (the last step is to run an rsync to cdimage.d.o to get
everything identical).

>> I'll see if I can dig up some more storage to carry both, I don't
>> have a good hardware donor lined up right now though.
>
> What storage do you use at the moment?

Just some ide-disks in a sw raid setup. I might get something more serious
lined up for later this winter, but nothing in time for release, I think.

Looking at it now, it might be possible to find the funds for a sata card
and a couple of 200:ish disks to run in another sw raid setup.

I'm sceptical about adding more pata though, because we have very bad
experiences running with many promise pata cards in one machine, and that
pretty much the only card we can easily get hold of (and we already have
one promise card in the machine).

/Mattias Wadenstein