Re: jigdo rawtemplate support

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:46:35PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:

>Cool! Unfortunately, I can't reach your site ATM, will try again later.

Yup, open went down and took away my DNS. It's back and functioning
now...

>> I've also written simple dirty tools to list the contents of one of
>> these template files and a current jigdo file - see
>>
>>    http://www.einval.com/~steve/sw/CD/dump.c     (jigdo template)
>>    http://www.einval.com/~steve/sw/CD/dump-jte.c (helper template)
>>
>> I've had a look at adding support for the new template helper file
>> into jigdo itself, but I can't abide C++ at the best of times and the
>> jigdo code is fairly opaque IMHO.
>
>Um, oh. :-/ It's fairly *big* to begin with, but also quite well commented.

It's about at the opposite end of of the scale from my normal coding
style. Plus, I just about think in C, as thet's what I normally work
in. Otherwise I'd have tried adding the support myself.

>> One thing I'm curious about, Richard - why dod you decide to use (almost)
>> base64-encoded md5sums in the jigdo files? All other software works with
>> simple hexdumps of md5sums, and I'm not convinced doing things
>> differently is a good idea...
>
>I wanted to keep the size of the .jigdo files as small as possible, and
>since they contain quite a few md5sums, I chose a more efficient ASCII
>encoding than hexadecimal. It became obvious quickly that the .jigdo sizes
>are negligible compared to the .template sizes, but I had already written
>the base64 code then, so I didn't bother replacing it with code
>which outputs hexadecimal...

If it's not too much hassle, I think it would be much nicer to revert
back to hex - it's much easier to work with. And as we ship all the
.jigdo files gzipped by default, gzip will fix any inefficiency here.

>I'd love to see rawtemplate supported in jigdo-file. Unfortunately, I'm
>pretty busy, so it'd be nice if someone else wanted to try adding the code
>- anyone?

Yup. Anyone? :-)

"I've only once written 'SQL is my bitch' in a comment. But that code
 is in use on a military site..." -- Simon Booth