Re: Making unofficial extension CDs

Terry Hancock <hancock@anansispaceworks.com> writes:

> Is there an online reference that describes how the Debian
> archives are constructed?  Such as how "Packages.gz" gets
> built, etc?

man dpkg-scanpackages
man dpkg-scansources

As to the Release files there is some docs in apt but I think its
mostly look at existing once and do the same.

> I need to create a CD set based on a set of extra,
> unofficial Debian packages.  My understanding is that if
> this is done right, it will be possible to combine such a
> CD with an official distribution set to make an extended
> set, with local packages, unofficial deb packages, etc,
> that can be installed and maintained more-or-less just like
> you would a standard system.
>
> The debian-cd instructions state that you need a "Local
> Debian Mirror", but don't describe how you create it,
> especially if you *aren't* just copying the official
> archives.

apt-cache show debmirror (for the official archives)

Otherwise (untested) I think you just dump your debs into a directory
and point debian-cd to it. It should generate the neccessary
Packages/Sources and Release files itself.

> I really feel like this has to be a FAQ, but I haven't been
> able to find it with Google or the search engine on the
> Debian site.

MfG
        Goswin