Re: sarge first i386 CD musings

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 02:24:27PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:07:13AM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> >
> >Whilst a random purchase at anyone's local store is still likely to come
> >up with 74 minute CDs, the Debian images should stick to that size to
> >maximize availability.  (We don't want yet another "Why can't I make a
> >working Debian CD?" question added to the list.), but equally there's no
> >point in sticking to the old limit once it becomes obsolete.  It isn't
> >obsolete yet but it will be in (I would estimate) less than a year.  The
> >question wants revisiting in, say, 6 months and once the 74s are gone
> >then the image size should be increased.
>
> Hmmm. There are a lot of older CD drives out there that don't like 80
> minute media, so I deliberately keep a stock of 74-minute discs for
> these people.

Why don't we have unofficial "official" CD jigdo files for 700MB disks?
Somebody just needs to create the jigdo files, we wouldn't have to offer
actual iso images. That shouldn't take up too much extra space on the
mirrors and everybody would be happy, that is as long as we also have jigdo
files for DVDs ;-)

Christian