Re: sarge first i386 CD musings

Blars Blarson wrote:
In the US (or at least southern california) 650 MB cd-r's are about
half the price and more widly available than 700 MB ones.  (About
Interesting. I thought if we (in Hungary) can buy only 700 MB CD-Rs then the rest of the world now uses at least DVDs :)

But selling only 700 MB CD-Rs and RWs makes sense here, because Artisjus (http://www.artisjus.hu/en/, an association for protecting the authors, at least in their mind) throw a tax on each recordable medium, like CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DATs, etc, because they *assume* that every piece of recordable medium will contain illegal stuff, so they get a fraction from its price, depending on its capacity (more capacity means more money).

So I have to pay extra money to this association, because they now that I will burn illegal audio to my CD-R.

Aren't such things exists in the other regions of the world? Only we are so stupid that they can get this done?

Not all CD readers/players can handle disks larger than 650 MB.  (And
some cd-r's have more problems than others, like the black ones.)
Yes, there are some older ones. And also there are some older motherboards which won't boot your Debian CDs. True PC compatibility :)

While for Knoppix I think it makes sence to use 700 MB cd's, I don't
think it does for Debian.  (Going from 7 CDs to 6?)
Only DVDs make sense. Who will carry a 10 CDs collection of Sarge just to have the smallest shell script collection in .deb format which he will never use?

I burnt a lot of Debian CDs, but most people wants only the first 3-4 of them. Or just the first to get things done.

--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy@fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU)           phone @work: +361 210 1415/127