Re: Need Help installing Debian

Ace wrote:

Hey y'all...
I need some help installing Debian... I managed to
write the image file to a disk using fireburner... but
MSDOS doesm't detect it... How do I install it? I also
tried the floppy-boot disks but install.bat didn't
work correctly. It said something about not having the
proper "keys" (-2,[d:\], etc.). Can anyone help me?
I'm running Windows 98 on a MSDOS based Pentium II
with a 4GB hard drive. The 1.2GB partion, previously
the windows "D:\" drive has been reformated for Linux
using Ranish Disk Partioner. Any help would be much
apprieciated. Thanks.
Jason Herbert

You might find the Installation Manual (http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install.en.html) to be of value.

What I'd suggest is to boot off your existing C: drive, like so:

1) From the list at http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html#s-boot-drive-files, Section 4.2.3, grab the following files and put them into a directory named C:\Debian.

images-1.44/idepci/rescue.bin
images-1.44/idepci/root.bin
.../current/dosutils/loadlin.exe (second to last paragraph of Section 4.2.3).

and from http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-appendix.en.html#s-kernel-images, Section 11.2.3.2 (also the "Linux Kernel Files..." link on the previous page), grab:

idepci/linux.bin

and from Section 11.2.3.3.2 on that same page get:

idepci/drivers.tgz

and from Section 11.2.3.4.2 get:

basedebs.tar

As mentioned, all of these files should be in C:\Debian.

Now boot into DOS (F8 just after the post, then choose "Safe Mode Only" (or whatever the correct entry is)). "cd \debian" to get into the Debian directory and run "loadlin linux.bin root=/dev/ram initrd=root.bin" (search the above pages for install.bat if you need to troubleshoot this line). This should get you started. If you run into problems, you may have to choose a different flavor of these files, such as the bf24 or compact flavor.

btw, once you're into the installation program, I'd recommend you repartition "Drive D:"; I've found that as a general rule I get better results using a DOS program to create DOS partitions and using a Linux program to create Linux partitions.

--
Kent