Re: jigdo templates seem to use /debian/doc/package-developer/

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 04:24:09PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Can you make Jigdo not touch /debian/doc/package-developer/ stuff on the
> FTP sites? Instead, it could either skip it completely (nobody really
> needs the developers' documentation before installing Debian from a CD)
> or get it from elsewhere.
>
> I want to remove the contents of the aforementioned directory from the
> FTP sites (for the same reason: nobody really needs the developers' docs
> there while browsing the FTP site), but this will be delayed until we
> make sure Jigdo doesn't break without it...

Just go ahead and remove the directory - jigdo downloads should not be
affected by this.

jigdo-file is told to scan through a snapshot of the entire FTP archive
during .jigdo generation, so once you've removed the dir, any future jigdo
generation will simply no longer pick up the files which were deleted, and
those files' data will end up in the .templates.

As for the _current_ .jigdo/.template files, they won't break because of
the "fallback" server on raff, which holds backup copies of the files:
After jigdo-lite has unsuccessfully tried to fetch them from the server
selected by the user, it'll try raff next.

[There is a built-in limit in jigdo-lite: If more than 30% of files cannot
be found on the primary server, jigdo-lite will fail with an error.
However, the "package-developer" files only account for 3% of the files
for CD 1, so no problem.]

HTH,

  Richard

--