Re: Debian-390 needs DVD for hercules installation

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 09:08:53PM -0800, Peter Farley wrote:
> So, how about it folk?  Any chance a stable release for Debian-390 can be
> made avalable to the vendors out there so I can pay them for their hard
> work in making a DVD for me to install on hercules?

I agree that DVD images would be nice. :)

However, note that IMHO you only need 1200MB of free space for your
"package server" machine to be usable: Transfer the first two CDs to its
HD, mount the third CD, and the resulting set of available packages should
be enough for an installation on the s390.

BTW, HTTP is probably better than NFS for this. See the first point on
<http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#lan-install> for the necessary sources.list
entries.

A different possibility is changing /etc/fstab on the s390 during the
installation in such a way that if /cdrom is mounted there, it is actually
an NFS mount which corresponds to /cdrom on your package server. So,
whenever the s390 installation asks you to swap CDs, you only need to mount
the correct CD on your package server to continue.

HTH,

  Richard

--
  __   _