Re: System Question

"Mauricio" <ibanezm@adinet.com.uy> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm going to download de Debian CD Images for my computer. It's an AMD Athlon XP 1700+. Wich version I must download? the Intel-Compatible or other one?
>
> Other question I want to do: is there a new stable version near from now to be completed? because I don't have an ADSL/Cable-modem and I need to pay for the ISO-CD download. If a new version is going to be released, I want to wait this little time to download it.
>
> Sorry if my words/english are not very clearly.
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> Regards,
>
> Mauricio Ibáñez
> Montevideo, Uruguay.

Don't download isos. 80% of the stuff you don't need or want.

Download a netinstall cd with base (those 30-100MB isos), install
base, configure your modem and then install directly off the net.

That way you only have to download the programs you actually are going
to install. As an added bonus the new stable revision 3.0R2 has been
pushed to the debian mirrors but the CDs are not yet available.
Installing over the net you will get newer packages and don't have to
upgrade next week.

MfG
        Goswin