Re: Donating Debian CDs to libraries

At 06:51 PM 7/19/2003 -0500, Aaron J. Enright wrote:
Howdy.

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 09:02:48AM -0700, Gordon Huff wrote:
> I've just had a discussion like this with my local librarian.

I can tell you that anything physically written on the
disk (in part why I advocate donating an official set), as well as any
README, COPYRIGHT, and similar files found among the data on the cd would
be the most likely sources for the bibliographic information for cataloguing
the cd set.  Whatever information the cataloger needs but cannot find
in those files can easily be found at the debian website.

My local library already has a CDROM collection - if this is the answer I think my librarian was asking another question. I've suggested the following :

Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 rev 1 "Woody".
Official i386 Binary-1
005.4469 Debian 16Dec2002

and I'll add the

Mind you, I am talking about very basic elements of bibliographic
information here.  Things like title (Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1), statement
of responsibility (Debian Project), copyright (2003 Software in the
Public Interest), and so on.  This is all stuff generally found on the
title page verso (the 'copyright page') of a book, the software
equivalent of which are the README file, COPYRIGHT file, EULA, splash
screens, etc.  The description of medium and system requirements would
really be the only elements specific to computer files I can think of.

as well.

Try searching google with "anglo american cataloging rules":
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=anglo+american+cataloging+rules&btnG=Google+Search

That yields many a descriptive hit.

I've tried that. I especially like :
http://sparta.rice.edu/~keckker/Manual/CD-ROM.html

=snip=
> Is there a librarian on this list who has cataloged a CD?

Yes, I have.  Do you have any questions about the process?  It's always
fun to talk shop.

I'm sure my local librarian will appreciate this offer.

I say just go adhead and donate the cds.  The library should have the
ability to deal with them.  Seems a bit to me that you are doing their
work by worrying about how to get the cd set into their catalog.  If
they are worried about things like copyright infringement, encourage
them to check out the debian website.  The description of the social
contract and the 'about' page should ease any copyright concerns.

I'm sure your suggestions are pure in intent and reflect what you as a professional
librarian perceive.

If I (we, the Linux User Group) "just go ahead and donate the cds" they will go directly to the "Friends of the Library" book sale where it will bring $1 or $2. Not a good use of the computer clubs' $60.

The library does *not* have the ability to deal with them. Our library is well-funded; the facilities are wonderful; staff is ample; the collection is outstanding; persons outside our library district pay $60 a year to borrow books here. If the library could deal with computer software, they would have done it by now.

Therefore, I (we, the computer club) have to politic to get the library to add a Linux distribution; we have to deal with several levels of the staff and answer their objections. "No one here understands Linux"; "we can't offer support, we're a library not a computer store."

Librarians do not appreciate snappy come-backs like: "You have books on Eastern Religions which nobody understands. You have Bibles but you're not a church."

As a measure of money and turf - our library does not accept volunteer computer help.

Regards, Gordon