Install sarge from cd

Hi there,

I had a try installing sarge using the cd images from
 ftp://ftp.uni-bremen.de/pub/mirrors/debian_cdimages/debian-unofficial/sarge
without success :-\

First I could not get the installer to work. It reports
  Failed to retrieve installer module
  Retrieving the module libc-udeb failed for unknown reasons.
  Aborting
  [Press enter to continue]

This problem has been described a couple of times. The suggested
solution was to install a basic woody and to a dist-upgrade. So
did I.

The dist-upgrade failed since the file Packages.gz seems to
point to wrong files like /data/.2/debian/pool/... which should
actually point to pool/... Since apt expects this path relative
to /cdrom the path /cdrom/data/.2/debian/pool/... is needed.
This path cannot be created on a existing cdrom ;-/

So my workarround was to copy the cdrom to the hard disk,
create a link [copied cdrom]/data/.2/debian/pool and do a
dist-upgrade from there. This one seemed to work.

Unfortunately there are 9 cdroms left which do not fit on my
harddisk.

Is there anyone who expierenced the same problems? Maybe there
are simpler workarounds.

I still cannot get X to run. I installed xf86* packages from the
sarge cd1. I used xf86config to get an XF86Config file.
The problem is that there is not link (or prog)
/usr/X11R6/bin/X.
Is there program which can create this link to the X-server or I
am requested to do it by hand? Maybe I have forgotten to install
a package. The choosen driver (mga-something) seems to be in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/driv

BTW: My machine is on a telephone line so I cannot use a
     net-installation. I would like to use sarge and not woody
     since I would like to use the newer packages like gcc-3.3.

F'up might be set to linux.debian.maint.boot

Thanks for any hints.

Regards, Uwe
--
  ,_,   For a personal reply please put "News-reply"
 (O,O)  in the subject-field of your mail.