Re: sid 12 Avril 2003 CD 1 iso is broken

--- Eric Valette <eric.valette@free.fr> wrote:
> Dale Amon wrote:
> > There is nothing at all wrong with using sid; there is also
> little
> > or no sympathy if you do so without recognizing what you are
> getting into.
>
> So what is your advice for installing sid on a laptop?

sid is the unstable debian tree, and there's really a good
reason why it's called unstable - if something breaks, you get
to keep the pieces. *grin*

Seriously, IMHO I wouldn't use it. Get a hold of the latest
stable (I think it's still 3.0r1) and once installed, point to
testing and install from there.

> > Nothing wrong with that. But things can still break badly,
> so be prepared
> > to dive in and sort them manually.
>
> I'm familliar with that. But this time the installer is so
> broken that I
> did not find my way even to set up a minimal system...

>From what I hear, the installer in sid will eventually become
the new debian installer, but it's not there yet...

> I have installed debian probably on more computers than many
> on this
> list :-)
>
> Thanks for your non helping answer

My suggestion would be to use the latest stable and upgrade to
testing from there. If you want to use sid, it's probably safer
to go to testing first...

I hope this helps... Good luck!

=====
Tony.