Re: /CD/vendors: What to do about DVD vendors

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 09:24:42PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> this seems to be the first vendor selling unofficial DVDs. What should
> we do about this - just add "+ DVD" or have something like "(also on
> DVD)" translated? Before long there might also be /official/ DVDs...

Hello,
  I'm the webmaster who looks after the pages about Debian CD vendors
so the short answer is, whateever is done is whatever I do about it.

I've included the debian-cd folk on this reply too because what I need
to know is how to data model these DVDs and what are the likely types of
DVDs or sets of DVDs to come out.  I can then make the neccessary
database (I adjust my html source using a database) and web page changes
which then run through the translators.

Currently, this is the way CDs are categorised:
 - Offical CD : (with optionally any combination of non-free, non-us,
   contrib and vendor CD)
 - custom CD
 - vendor CD: (with optinally any combination of nonfree nonus and
   contrib)
 - non-US CD
 - non-free CD
 - contrib CD
 - multidist (like the old infomagic)

Then there are the arches, I'll probably have to add some of those for
woody but that's OK.

So what are the likely DVDs that are going to be created?  I think the
first one would be
 - vendor DVD
and then maybe
 - Official DVD

Is it likely that what is stored on the DVD will be the same as what is
stored on the CD or is it likely to be different.  The difference is
the first type is a option on an existing item, the second is a new
item.

None of this needs to be set in stone, I can change it later but I'd
like to get some warning if possible.

BTW, if anyone says they are a new vendor and they'd like to get listed
or things like that, flick them over to cdvendors@debian.org (an alias,
no lists in the address).

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>