Re: First try on Hurd-H4-CD1 jigdo files

Philip Charles wrote:

Good luck, let us know how you get on.  We need to speed up the transfer
of the iso's from Dunedin to Budapest.

If you have a local debian tree, that should be no problem at all. It works already when you have just the files that are mirrored in the same relative position local as on the mirrors, so you don't even need a whole mirror. And I don't think anyone would like to have a Debian mirror just for fun. This files would be taken out of the image and fetched from the mirrors when rebuilding the system. That would be the straigth forward approach.

Could you start thinking of how we could use a loop mounted iso image to
speed things up.

I tried to filter the files list from the image and the list of my local copy of alpha, but it showed that I realy need to know exactly which files can't be fetched from a mirror and which can. I can make jigdo-file take the alpha files instead of the loop-mounted files, but I did not find a usable way of excluding the non-fetchable files. I tried a ls-LR file froma a mirror, but I need the path to the files too, and I don't see a reasonable short way of getting this out of the ls-LR. If someone could provide me a 'find -type f' result of a Debian mirror and the hurd directory of alpha, that would bring me a big step further. Then I could match that list with a list of files in the image, leaving out files that can't be fetched to remain in the template. Finally I'd present jigdo-file the alpha file list before the matched image file list, so that the alpha files are stamped out too.

To sum up, first we need a list of files that can be found on mirrors with their corresponding location, what I'm trying to do ATM. And second the files itself for the checksums, which we get from the mounted image. I now work with a local copy of alpha, just to be able to separate the server locations in the jigdo file, but this should not be needed with a file listing from alpha and some file list manipulation. In my theory this would result in the perfect hurd-H4-CD1 jigdo files. (But as a wise man said: I practice the difference between theory and practice is mach bigger than in theory ;-)

By the while, H4 seem not to be the best place/time for trying jigdo.

Patrick ps: Can anyone give my a size of a Debian mirror? Just to know what we try to avoid.

Patrick Strasser <pstrasser at bigfoot dot de>