Re: What kernel stuff on CD1? Was Still no TeX in CD#1

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 01:24:28PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Well, take a look at tasksel's changelog:
> >
> >   * Make the basic-desktop task incude all of x-window-system (so it gets a
> >     WM and xterm and so on), while the desktop task uses just
> >     x-window-system-core (because it already has a WM and so on from
> >     gnome and kde). Closes: #129217
> >
> > I did the best I could within the constraints of the freeze and the available
> > X metapackages.
>
> Maybe it would shut Santiago up if you just made basic-desktop task
> depend on everything depended upon by x-window-system, instead of
> x-window-system itself.

I was going to propose something similar, but excluding not-so-popular
packages from the dependency chain, since this is a "basic" desktop.

x-window-system depends on the following packages, sorted by regular usage:

xterm                            404   246   111     1
xfs                              275    96    49     0
xdm                               83    88    20     0
twm                               49   230    51     0
xnest                             29   212    66     0
xvfb                              26   171    53     0
xprt                              16   198    54     1
proxymngr                         14   107    37     0
lbxproxy                          14    97    41     0
xfwp                               9    93    27     0
x-window-system-core               0     0     0   135
xspecs                             0     0     0   195

For a "basic-desktop" task, xterm, xfs, xdm and twm would probably suffice
(plus x-window-system-core, which adds the remaining bits).