Are PIK mirrors obsolete?

On mirrors.kernel.org, we recently suffered a major disk failure, which among other things ate our PIK CD mirror setup. I went to look for the software again, and find that "it has mostly been superceded by jigdo, and that is the only way to download the Debian DVD images."

It makes me reluctant to spend the work to resurrect the debian-cd mirror on mirrors.kernel.org. Perhaps someone could explain the situation as well as this "jigdo" business to me...

	-hpa