woody.raw contains potato.iso (??)

Sorry,

   I keep being confused. Who may have a look through
the follwing steps and tell me where I went wrong ?

   At the origin I just wanted to upgrade a mathematical
package (I need GNU scientific library >=1).

   This package requires glibc >= 2.2. Since almost all
other packages depend on libc, I anticipate that any
attempt to upgrade just libc will lead to desaster.

   I conclude that I have to upgrade my whole DEBIAN
installation (presently 2.2r3) to 3.0, even if that is
still in "testing" state.

   To get the CD images, I followed the links in
http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#testing
to different mirrors from which I download eight ISO
images, named woody-i386-#.raw, with #=1,2,...,8.

   After heavy struggle with windows (linux only allowed
in laboratory, not allowed to connect to the internet),
I succeeded in burning CD #1. I succeeded even in burning
a copy of CD #1 that is readable on my linux machine.
But what a deception: inside this CD, I do not find
woody, but potato (2.2r6, with glibc2.1.3-20).

   Thanks for any help - Joachim