Re: Alpha CD: isomarkboot

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 05:24:47PM +0200, Falk Hueffner wrote:

> Yes, isomarkboot now handles symlinks. It is part of the aboot
> package, which unfortunately is only available for the Alpha
> architecture. I hope it compiles properly on other architectures,
> though...
>
>         Falk

# apt-get source -b aboot
<SNIP>
gcc  -I/usr/src/aboot-0.9/include -I/usr/src/linux/include
-D__ASSEMBLY__ -traditional -c -o head.o head.S
/tmp/ccRkcN8H.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccRkcN8H.s:839: Error: no such instruction: `struct sysinfo{'
/tmp/ccRkcN8H.s:840: Error: no such instruction: `long uptime'
<SNIP>

Doesn't look like the whole package can compile on other architectures
since it has assembler. I don't know squat about cross compilation other
than using toolchain, and it shouldn't be needed here if we only want
isomarkboot.

Recipe for compiling just isomarkboot:
cd aboot-0.9/tools
fix the #include in ../include/utils.h
to use the kernel's linux/include/asm-alpha/hwrpb.h
make isomarkboot

I have an i386 executable
http://natasha.stmarytx.edu/pub/linux/isomarkboot
if anyone is so foolish to want to try it.

I will attempt a alpha CD build tonight after the mirror update to see if
it looks even vaguely successful. I think I have additional problems
with the alpha CD build.

What is the best way to tell if the CD is functional after building on i386?
Torture the alpha requesters here with the iso image? ;)

	J.Currey

--
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not
become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes