Re: Bochs can be helpful for bootdisk testing

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Robert Millan wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Bochs (the x86 emulator) can be quite helpful for bootdisk testing,
> saving from lots of reboots. It's relatively fast and supports "el Torito"
> for booting from CD (or ISO image, no need to burn)
>
> Also there have been some major reworks to make configuration easier,
> so while you are at testing bootdisks you can test bochs and ensure
> that it'll be working well for Woody. :)

Absolutely!

I've been using bochs for 4 or 5 months now, and it has recently become
fully capable of CD installation for Woody. I'm currently collecting the
necessary screen shots for the 3.0.0 release of my book using bochs on my
Ultra SPARC. (can't do that with plex86...)

It is still slow in places, mostly when uncompressing something (too many
interface layers?), but it works really well for my needs.

Thanks for packaging it Robert!

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-