Re: debootstrap and local components

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 02:52:22PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 02:10:25PM +1000, Anthony Towns ?crivait:
> > So, debootstrap these days will accept packages from any component called
> > "main" or "*/main" that's mentioned in the Release file. This seems a
> > reasonably sensible way of distinguishing components that should be used
> > from ones that shouldn't without doing too much hardcoding, but it also
> > means that debian-cd should probably rename it's local component from
> > "local" to "local/main".
> I hardly see the point of breaking a rule that has been in place
> for several years... just for the sake of separating local
> packages that should be seen by debootstrap and those that
> shouldn't.

Well, I'd much rather let debootstrap see everything, but the folks
who find the mere existance of non-free abhorrent don't like that. And
since I'm heavily prejudiced against special casing more random things,
this probably won't get fixed if it's reassigned back. If we were in
opposite positions, I'd probably reassign it back, though. :)

> People who put packages in a local tree want them to be used ...

That's nice. They never used to get them installed during the base install
though -- if they weren't in base.tgz, they weren't anywhere. If you
really want to continue with tradition in that sense, you should make sure
all the base stuff is in main, even if there're newer versions in local.

Cheers,
aj

                        Vote [1] Bdale!