Re: download softwares

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Richard Atterer wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:41:21AM +0100, Bernard Massot wrote:
> > I was very astonished when I viewed this page :
> > http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
> > You advise the reader to use wget if he is a unix user or getright
> > if he is a windoze user. But wget *does* run under windoze et
> > getright is a proprietary software !
>
> GetRight even is a spyware, I'm told! :-/

No it isn't. I own a copy of GetRight and it is reliable software and has
fetched me numerous iso files and inlcudes a crude support of choosing the
fastest mirror near you. Don't forget that getright comes with some
features wget has not and the other way around.

If you pay for getright it will also disable banners and such.

You could also use GoZilla although YMMV. I had differing results with
that one.

> If anybody knows about a Free *GUI* download program under Windows
> which supports HTTP ranges, please tell me and I'll gladly remove the
> GetRight reference.

GoZilla is possible but that one might have more hidden features them you
want.

I created the original dutch language dll for getright 3.1 with a friend.
I have roughly an idea of the man who made getright. I would say he is
trustworthy.

> I take your point... what do other people on the list think, should
> the GetRight link go even though that will mean that more people might
> download with their browsers?

Propierty or not, if you are already using windows I don't see what's the
point. It is reliable it works and you can even use it for the first 30
days for free and deinstall it later if you want.

I paid the $17,50 dollar by sending them in a letter to america from the
netherlands. To this day I still use this software on a daily basis. If
there is spyware I think I would have noticed it across the 8 versions I
have used over the last 3 years.

No I am not related to Micheal Burford or Headlight Software, I am not
trying to sell getright, just explaining why not giving people a choice
and let them work out what they think is best.

Cheers
Seth