jigdo 0.6.3

Hello all,

I have just released Jigsaw Download 0.6.3. jigdo is a scheme which
makes it possible to download Debian CD images from any regular Debian
FTP mirror, instead of getting them from one of the fewer and slower
CD image mirrors.

What's new?
~~~~~~~~~~~
  - jigdo-file make-template: Some loop unrolling, some other
    optimizations, resulting in a speed increase of at least 30%!
  - FORMAT CHANGE of template files: Template data now includes
    RsyncSums - this will be useful in the future for aborting
    downloads early and when upgrading images to newer versions. This
    version still reads the old template format, but support for that
    will be dropped before 1.0.0.
  - jigdo-lite: Can now supply >1 image sections in .jigdo files
  - jigdo-lite: Support for gzipped .jigdo files
  - jigdo-lite: Added a small manpage
  - jigdo-lite: Use "wget --dot-style=mega --passive-ftp"
  - Really fixed <sstream> issues this time - by not using sstream at
    all. (It is not possible to implement an sstream class for the
    iostream supplied with Debian Potato's GCC 2.95)
  - Can now build a .deb just by executing "deb/rules"
  - configure: Can now use --without-gui to prevent jigdo GUI from
    getting built and installed (does not work with "deb/rules")
  - Added jigdo.spec for building of RPMs (Alexander Skwar)
  - Slightly changed the way that missing --image/--jigdo/--template
    arguments are deduced from other parameters. (Thomas Arnold)
  - Fixes to make jigdo-file build on 64-bit architectures
  - Changed abbreviation of "md5sum" command from "md" to "md5". That
    breaks compatibility, but I keep typing "md5"... :)
  - Small hack to make "jigdo-file md5 /some/path" include the leading
    "/" in its output.

Where is it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jigdo homepage:           <http://atterer.net/jigdo/>
Source code:              <http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-0.6.3.tar.bz2>
Statically linked binary: <http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-bin-0.6.3.tar.bz2>
Downloading Debian CDs:   <http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/>

Apt-able i386 .debs are at:
deb http://home.in.tum.de/atterer/debian unstable jigdo

Additionally, I've uploaded an updated jigdo-file package to Debian
unstable. I hope it'll make it into woody in time. :)

jigdo-port/jigdo-lite2win maintainer needed!
Two months ago, Anne Bezemer announced his own work related to jigdo:
A more portable, minimal C version of jigdo-file, and a "port" of
jigdo-lite to Windows: <http://cdimage.debian.org/~costar/jigdo/>

jigdo-port is *not* included in this release. I have no problem
including it in future releases, as long as someone looks after it.
Unfortunately, Anne seems to be very busy again (correct me if I'm
wrong!) - would anybody else be willing to do this work?

My TODO list contains only little work:
  - Ensure that the jigdo-lite from 0.6.3 works under Windows. Above
    all, a gzip binary needs to be included if gzipped files are to be
    supported.
  - Fix resuming of aborted downloads under Windows - one person has
    assured me that it didn't work for him.
  - Make jigdo-port read the new template format. Quite trivial - mail
    me or read doc/TechDetails.txt in the jigdo sources.
 (- Oh, and *I* still need to compile 0.6.3 for Windows... ;-)

All the best,

  Richard

--
  __   _