Re: Too few up-to-date CD image mirrors

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Josip Rodin wrote:

> Yeah, but we don't _have_ that 120 GB drive. That's a bit of a showstopper,
> don't you think? :)

if need be i'll try and organize one to be sent.

> It should simply say "sync whatever way is fastest for you, once per point
> release, leave it be in the meantime". I don't see what the fuss is about :)

i agree with the sentiment - essentially that is exactly what all the active
mirror admins (ones with no life?) seem to be doing, e.g mattias, myself and
a few others.

but it is probably still a good thing to spell it out a bit more, even if only
so that new admins understand how it works.

e.g

cdimage.debian.org is the authoritative repository for master official ISO and
DVD images for the debian project.

ISO images are usually generated during the week of the release, usually to be
released a few days after an official release date.  As part of the ISO generation
jigdo files are created and made available to assist in mirroring.

the preferred method of providing a mirror of debian-cd is to use use jigdo to
create an iso image from the local debian mirror, which greatly reduces the
traffic from cdimage.d.o.  once you have generated local images, you can sync
this against the master images.  you can find out about jigdo and how to use
it <here>.  you can download the jigdo files you need to generate images <here>

if you cannot use jigdo for whatever reason, you can use rsync to fetch the images
from cdimage.d.o.  images are only generated once per point release so there is no
need (and it is actively discouraged) to constantly check, once you have mirrored
an image release.

it might be advisable to try and mirror from a closer server than cdimage.d.o
if they have already generated (and synced) their image files e.g

<url1>
<url2>

regards,

-jason