Re: jigdo problem

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 08:38:29PM +1300, fcoo007@ec.auckland.ac.nz wrote:
> Every time my connection drops jigdo keeps trying for a signifigant
> time before coming to a prompt saying enter to continue or ctrl C to
> stop.

Yes, it just keeps trying to download all URLs for the disc... but you
can safely interrupt it with Ctrl-C once your connection is down and
jigdo has copied the remaining files in tmp/ to the image. (If you
interrupt before that, the stuff in tmp/ is lost and will be fetched
again.)

> last time it did that it said "571 files not found, this should not
> happen!" then i hit enter and it says "found 0 of 682 files" where
> did the 111 go ?

Hm, I don't know, a difference of at most 10 files would be OK, but
not more. But I'm pretty sure it did *not* download and then just
delete the data.

> it then promptly began downloading linux_developers_guide.txt for
> the 6th or 7th time and another few small files, but what really
> disturbed me was that after that it went on to the 2.2.20 kernel
> AGAIN!?

The problem is this: The .jigdo and .template files tell jigdo that
linux_developers_guide.txt is available from any Debian mirror, so it
first downloads it from the mirror you selected. Once it has been
downloaded, jigdo verifies its checksum and realizes that it doesn't
match - since the CDs were created, the file has changed on the Debian
FTP servers. There is a backup server on cdimage.d.o - jigdo now
downloads linux_developers_guide.txt again, this time the older
version from cdimage.d.o. So unfortunately the file has to be
downloaded twice.

> last time i looked last night it was all but done downloading
> that.It most certainly finished those small files many times.

I'm not sure why it would try to download the files more than twice.
Due to a bug, 0.6.8 *will* sometimes re-download at most the last 10
files downloaded _if you interrupt it with Ctrl-C to early_, but you
don't seem to be doing this.

I guess you could reach 6 or 7 times if your connection drops quite
frequently, say every 20 minutes. In that case, try setting the
filesPerFetch variable near the start of the jigdo-lite script to a
lower value, e.g. 2 or 1.

Cheers,

  Richard

--