upgrading potato to woody by CD

A month or so ago, Marcin Wolinski <wolinski@mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

> I've tried to upgrade a Potato system to Woody using the 3.0pre6
> version of Debian CDs, but it failed miserably.
    [snip details]
> and after getting to some 50% it displayed:
>   E: Internal Error, Could not configure a pre-depend

Now, I have tried to upgrade a potato box using the "unofficial" CD images
with much the same result. (Before anyone says I should upgrade over the
network, the box in quesiton has no network card and lives a long way from
the nearest ethernet socket. The CD burner is more happily located.)
Following the thread, I find that :

Michael Knoop <mknoop@uic.edu> replied:

> I had exactly the same problem.  When I ran "apt-get --simulate install
> dpkg apt debconf" it showed problem packages in square brackets after
> packages it was "installing".  Using this information, and stumbling
> around for awhile, I finally found that running "apt-get remove libdb2"
> began a rather extensive upgrade process that fixed things so I could
> continue with the first step of "apt-get dpkg apt debconf" as before.
> By the way, the extensive upgrade process actually reinstalled libdb2
> after it removed it. Weird, huh?

I tried this, and in my case it didn't work -- I got the
     E: Internal Error, Could not configure a pre-depend
message again.

I considered removing libdb2 from the potato system before introducing the
CDs to it, but it issued awful warnings about the importance of libdb2, so
I didn't proceed.

Now, the release notes mutter about installing statically-linked versions
of apt and dpkg, but only if you are upgrading from slink. Neither the
woody cds nor the woody archives seem to contain these, so I couldn't try
that.

Any other suggestions? The CD contains reasonable-looking contents and
boots OK, so the burn wasn't a total failure. I have not tried a clean
install from the disc yet as I don't have a scratch machine.

many TIA,

Hugh

============S=u=p=p=o=r=t===D=e=b=i=a=n===http://www.debian.org============
Dr. Hugh C. Pumphrey             | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-650-5780
Institute for Meteorology        | Replace 0131 with +44-131 if outside UK
The University of Edinburgh      | Email hcp@met.ed.ac.uk
EDINBURGH EH9 3JZ, Scotland      | URL: http://www.met.ed.ac.uk/~hcp
============S=u=p=p=o=r=t==g=9=5==http://g95.sourceforge.net/==============