Re: Custom cd's

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Steve Haslam wrote:

SH> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 07:19:31PM +0100, Stephen Mulcahy wrote:
SH> > Is this the method people are using the build the minimal netinst type
SH> > cd's aswell? It seems like overkill to have a full debian mirror to
SH> > build a 50-70 meg image.
SH>
SH> It's what I'm using, but yes it's overkill. Especially since it has to cope
SH> with installing different kernels on different CD's etc.. which is just
SH> irrelevant for building small images. But I don't know any alternatives atm.

Would the author(s) of debian-cd care to provide an outline of the
major steps that debian-cd performs in constructing an image - it
would help others wanting to put together similar tools for such tasks
(I know, I know, documentation is evil .. but it can be useful ;)

I'm thinking of something that explains things to the level of making
a bootable image, copying in packages, creating a rescue disk image,
etc. (excuse me if this is gibberish, I'm not very familiar with the
process currently but would like an alternative to mounting existing
netinst images with a loopback device and inserting items into them).

Thanks,

-stephen

--
   Stephen Mulcahy, Software Engineer, A&O - Multivendor Systems Engineering,
 HP Services, Hewlett-Packard Company, Ballybrit Business Park, Galway, Ireland