Re: No TeX in CD#1?

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Santiago Vila wrote:
> > teTeX was of standard priority in potato. It's not possible to have it
> > in the first CD, or has its popularity decreased so much?
>
> Most likely yes. I suspect the average user these days uses tools
> like abiword and formats like HTML instead of *TeX (I know I do).

Space juggling on the first CD is the reason.  i18n and tex tasks are on
the second CD, all the others are on the first.  As tex is big, putting it
on the first disc would mean that number of other tasks would be split
between the two CD images.  Much simpler this way.  The interrelationship
of the tasks is complex and tex is one of the few tasks that is relatively
independent of the others.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz