Re: About 1st debian CD

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Chris Lawrence wrote:

> > Who needs 130MB of various kernel-images in 1st CD ???
> > I understand - kernel 2.2.20 and 2.2.18 are really usefull, but what about
> > 2.4.16 ? How many users will use kernel-image-2.4.16-i386 when there are
> > newer version - kernel-image-2.4.18-i386 ?
> > We shoult remove ar least kernel-image-2.4.16-i386, then x-window-system
> > (xserver-xfree86, xserver-common, xfonts-base, xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi)
> > will fit in 1st CD without problems.
> >
> > In previous prelelease (debian-30pre1-i386-binary-1_NONUS.iso) almost all
> > x-window-system packages were in the 1st CD, why in pre2 most X packages
> > are moved in second CD ?
>
> 1. What CD images are you referring to?  The ones on ftp.fsn.hu are
> unofficial, as are any other CD images floating around on the net.

They are probably using an unmodified late version of debian-cd, see
below.

> 2. (To whomever is responsible for these images:) You probably should
> update your copy of debian-cd from CVS and remove "base-woody" from
> the task file you are using.  This will eliminate a lot of stuff
> that's allegedly "base" but unimportant.  Pick a 2.2 and a 2.4 kernel
> image and put them in your task file.

Having looked at base-woody this would make little difference as the
kernel images are not in this list.  I suspect that this list is redundant
as the packages listed would be included on the first CD regardless.  The
way around this would be to EXCLUDE selected kernel-images and UNEXCLUDE2
this list of images for CD2.

> Woody CD 1 should be fairly complete with minimal hassle, at least for
> all ISO-8859-* languages.  (The cjk tasks bring in a lot of extra
> stuff, so it might be worthwhile to have a separate Woody CJK cd that
> has cjk tasks on it.)

Through careful ordering of the packages in task-woody I have managed to
get most of the packages mentioned in the tasks onto the first CD.  The
exceptions are i18n, games, junior, science and fortran-dev.  The official
task-woody list has been sorted alphabetically which creates a shambles of
the first two CDs.  The script I use,

cat task.list | while read LINE; do \
apt-cache dumpavail | grep-dctrl -F Task $LINE -n -s Package;done > \
./tasks/task-woody

task.list lists the tasks in the order I want them on the CDs, task-woody
now lists the packages needed for each task in the same order as
task.list.  This list is _not_ sorted.

Thanks for the tip about the kernel images, this could mean that all of
games, junior and science will end up on the first CD.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz