debian-cd 2.2.13 and woody.

I am in the process of configuring debian-cd to produce woody images.
Some interesting results.  non-US and non-free (initially) were included.
cvs was updated earlier today and no change found.  The MULTIBOOT option
was enabled. I am running a woody system.

New base-woody and task-woody files were generated.  There were only minor
differences between the new files and the old that came with debian-cd.  A
seven CD set was then built.  Packages with "Task: foo" fields were
scattered throughout the seven CDs.

A second set was built with COMPLETE=0 and "popularity-contest-woody"
deactivated along with the other non-essential bits and the result was
about 1.3 CDs.

A reduced task-woody list was then generated using

cat task.list | while read LINE; do \
apt-cache dumpavail | grep-dctrl -F Task $LINE -n -s Package;done > \
task-woody

task.list being a partial list of the available tasks.

A third CD set was built along the lines of the second.  The result was
1.5 CDs, bigger than the second set.  On investigation it was found that
the latest task-woody was bigger than the original.

A full task-list file was generated using my script.  The seven CD set
built.  This time the packages with "Task: foo" were confined to the first
two CDs with only one of these packages being on the third.

Conclusion 1.  The mini script for generating task-list in debian-cd is
NBG.  I cannot see why this is the case.

For the final build COMPLETE=0 was set and popularity-contest deactivated,
but the other bits in ../tasks/Debian_woody left active.  non-free was
excluded and non-US included for this build.

Result, the second CD was 500 MB.

Conclusion 2.  We will have to do some hard thinking about what should be
on the first and second CDs.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz