Re: download softwares

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:41:21AM +0100, Bernard Massot wrote:
> I was very astonished when I viewed this page :
> http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
> You advise the reader to use wget if he is a unix user or getright
> if he is a windoze user. But wget *does* run under windoze et
> getright is a proprietary software !

GetRight even is a spyware, I'm told! :-/

However, OTOH telling people to use wget is counter-productive, IMHO.
Your average Windows user is simply not prepared to type in obscure
commands at the DOS prompt, and will rather use his browser to
download...

If anybody knows about a Free *GUI* download program under Windows
which supports HTTP ranges, please tell me and I'll gladly remove the
GetRight reference.

> I can't believe the debian team promotes proprietary instead of free
> software ! For me debian was the distribution which was the most
> pro-free software. Please update your site.

I take your point... what do other people on the list think, should
the GetRight link go even though that will mean that more people might
download with their browsers?

Cheers,

  Richard

--