Re: Redesign of cdimage website

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 04:36:54PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> 1) on http://cdimage.debian.org/~atterer/faq/
> in the list of bootable CD flavours replace the "less" in "(smaller kernel,
> with less options enabled)" with "fewer" - (yes I realise this is pretty
> pedantic and these days people don't even necessarily agree as this usage
> distinction is rapidly falling out of use :-)

:) OK, fixed.

> 2) in http://cdimage.debian.org/~atterer/faq/ (I think)
> I found a link to #latest at the bottom of the home page, saying that it
> should show the current release, but it was broken ('unkown target')

Strange, I seem to have removed the anchor - it's back now.
(Even weirder: With Netscape 4.77 the link still appeared to work even
though the anchor wasn't there!)

> 3) I'm not quite sure about the 'ruled feint' background. What's wrong with
> plain white?

Nothing, really. I'm trying out the ruled background to see whether it
improves readability, though. IMHO, it does, because:

- The rules lead the eye, so you don't accidentally skip lines when
  reading quickly. (This is a basic problem with web pages because the
  lines are too long. A rule of thumb used by professional printers is
  that a column's width should not be greater than 1.5 times the
  length of the lowercase alphabet. Many sites add large margins
  (using tables) to get nearer to this value.)

- The "grainyness" of the lines gives your eye something to "hold
  onto" when you view large, empty areas of the page. Otherwise, it
  gets slightly irritated. For the same reason, a certain amount of
  grainyness is also good for real-world paper.

> 4) Richard, are you sure you want your email on every page footer?
> Never mind the spam you are lining yourself up for a lot of dumb
> questions :-)

Yes, I've been wondering about this! :-) I hope the dumb questions
will go to "The Debian CD team" address. I'll see how much spam I get,
if it turns out to be a problem I can always change the pages.

> > Phil and also Anne (as former maintainer of the WWW pages), is
> > this fit to replace the main cdimage website now? [...]
>
> Agreed; I think it's time for this to go live. I can't see any
> reason why not. Is this now underway?

Both Phil and Anne have agreed to the site reorganization. The cdimage
web pages are going to move to www.debian.org: the CD vendor list is
on www already, plus it makes life much easier for the web page
translators. Josip Rodin has offered to convert the pages to WML and
commit them to the webwml CVS.

Cheers,

  Richard

--